ACUÑA, MÉXICO MISSION TRIPS
We offer group and individual mission trips to Acuña, México. In three to four days, partner with a local church to construct a home from start to finish for a family in need. We offer one type of home in Acuña, known as the Acuña model.
Hidden behind the banks of the Rio Grande lies the city of Acuña, México, which borders Del Rio, Texas. It has over 134,000 inhabitants. Because of the growing number of factories springing up in this border town, many people come here in search of work.
Those familiar with the border town of Juárez may be surprised by the smaller feel of Acuña. It is a commercial and manufacturing center for agriculture where cattle and sheep are raised and wheat and nuts are the primary crops. The climate is extremely humid with temperatures reaching their peak near 100 degrees in the summer months. Children and adults alike can be seen utilizing the local rivers and lakes as a way to escape the summer heat.
A typical family in Acuña earns $60 a week, oftentimes being employed by a local factory or maquila. With an average family size of four, this income is barely enough to survive and provide for their most basic needs. Public education is not free, causing families to struggle to provide the money needed for uniforms, books, and tuition. Due to the lack of income, there is rarely any money left over to purchase materials to help build adequate housing. For this reason, the homes in Acuña are similar to what can be seen in many border towns. Families utilize scrap materials and anything that they can find to build homes to shelter their families. There is a vicious cycle that is created due to a lack of job opportunity and income that prevents a family from being able to provide for even their most basic needs. Through building homes, our ministry helps relieve this burden of housing so that families can focus their income towards providing food and education for their family in order to help break this cycle.
Want to support our ministry in Acuña? We are always in need of updating our tool kits and housing facilities. Check out our Amazon wishlist HERE, and feel free to bring these items along with you on your next trip to the Acuña! Give back even more by shopping through AmazonSmile, and a percentage of your purchase will be donated to us when you select Casas as your organization.
Want to make your donation go further? Utilize the free online Capital One Shopping tool that compares prices among various retailers to ensure that you are getting the best deal possible while supporting us in our mission to build & serve!
Acuña Group Trips
- $8,915 in 2021| Groups of 15-20 people | Three-room home **
- $8,885 in 2022| Groups of 15-20 people | Three-room home
- $1,000/project | Deposit (non-refundable; applied toward final trip fees)
- Additional Costs: meals, transportation, lodging, and travel insurance
- Optional meal plan: $28/person/day | Three meals/day | 15 person minimum
- Transportation: groups provide their own (15-passenger vans recommended)
- Lodging: $21/person/week | At a local church | Bedding not included
- Travel insurance: ~$10/person
- $1,650 | Bathroom Addition | Optional Family Gift | Built after by a local worker
- $550 | Mini-Split AC/Heating Unit | Optional Family Gift | Installed after by a local worker
- $450 | Bunk Bed | Optional Family Gift | Two twin-sized mattresses and a bunk bed frame
**Due to the increase in the cost of building materials, our prices increased from $7,985 to $8,915 on 4/27/2021.
Acuña Team Casas Trips for Individuals
- 2021 Cost: $835 per person ages 12 and up / $200 per child ages 0-11 **
- 2022 Cost: TBD
- Deposit: $100/person (non-refundable: applied toward final trip fees)
- Includes all meals, travel, lodging, and travel insurance in-country
- Does not include travel to and from or any hotel stays in Del Rio, Texas
- December 27 – 30, 2021
(at least 9 volunteers still needed by November 27, 2021)
- June 27 – 30, 2022
(at least 14 volunteers still needed by May 27, 2022)
- December 27 – 30, 2022
(at least 14 volunteers still needed by November 27, 2022)
- December 27 – 30, 2021
**Due to the increase in the cost of building materials, our prices increased from $795 to $835 on 4/27/2021.