Juárez, México Mission Trips
We offer group and individual mission trips to Juárez, México. In three to four days, partner with a local church to construct a home from start to finish for a family in need. Choose from two model homes: a two room home for small families of up to four members or a three room home for larger families of five or more.
Juárez, México is a city of over 1.3 million people, which borders the United States by way of El Paso, Texas. Where these two border towns collide, one of the greatest pictures of disparity is painted. On one side of the fence stand the tall buildings and affluence of the United States while on the other lay dirt streets riddled with shacks and families struggling to survive. Although only separated by a fence and small river, the contrast between these neighboring cities is overwhelming.
Many people come from all over México to the border town of Juárez in hopes of finding job opportunities to provide for their families. With this influx of individuals to the border, many find themselves not only without work, but stranded and in need of housing. In desperation, homes are constructed from materials that would commonly be found in a junkyard. A typical scene across this desert landscape is one of homes with dirt floors, blankets for doors and cardboard and pallets constructing the roof and walls. Due to the harsh desert climate, these makeshift houses are not enough to protect families from the extreme temperatures. Although México is typically thought of as a hot desert climate, the temperatures in Juárez range a span of over 100 degrees throughout the year. Summers soar into triple digits, while winter nights turn deadly and drop below freezing. Many families live without running water and rely solely on trucks which fill barrels outside of their homes. Electricity is as unreliable as the power lines that their loose wires are strewn across.
Juárez, México is the city in which Casas por Cristo began in 1993, and it is still the heartbeat of our ministry. A town that was once a major destination for mission trips and relief efforts, it has been almost forgotten due to the past drug war. From 2008 – 2012, Juárez was at the epicenter of the drug war that raged throughout México. But the drug war is now over and the need for housing is stronger than ever. All of the crime rates have dropped back down to the twenty year average prior to the violence. American companies that had held off on expanding their operations in their factories in Juárez and new companies building factories for the first time have caused a strain on the local workforce. The promise of new jobs that await them in Juárez has caused a new tidal wave of migration of workers moving their families to Juárez. This flood of new families is coming and has come, even though there is not anywhere near enough housing to handle this influx. Once again, through the local churches and our volunteer teams, Casas por Cristo is poised to meet this basic need for survival in the name of Jesus Christ. You can be a part of the rebirth of this proud and historic city that we love so much.
Juárez Group Trips
- 2017: $6,700 | Groups of 15-20 people | Three room home
- 2018: $6,900 | Groups of 15-20 people | Three room home
- Deposit: $1,000/project
- Additional Costs: meals, transportation, lodging, and insurance
- Optional meal plan | $25/person/day | Three meals/day | 15 person minimum
- Transportation: groups provide their own (15-passenger vans recommended)
- Lodging: $20/person/week | At a local church | Bedding not included
- Travel insurance: ~$10/person
Juárez Team Casas (Individual) Trips
- 2017 Cost: $650 per person ages 12 and up / $200 per child ages 0-11
- 2018 Cost: $675 per person ages 12 and up / $200 per child ages 0-11
- Deposit: $100/person
- Includes all meals, travel, lodging, and insurance in country
- Does not include travel to and from or accommodations in El Paso, Texas
- October 6 – 9, 2017 | $650
(scheduled; still accepting volunteers)
- December 27 – 30, 2017 | $650
(at least 11 volunteers needed by November 27)
- February 16 – 19, 2018 | $675
(at least 13 individuals still needed by January 16)
- June 11 – 14, 2018 | $675
(at least 13 individuals still needed by May 11)
- October 5 – 8, 2018 | $675
(at least 13 individuals still needed by September 5)
- December 27 – 30, 2018 | $675
(at least 13 individuals still needed by November 27)
- October 6 – 9, 2017 | $650